In Which Author Matt Haig Tells the Truth (and upsets Twitter in the process)

As those of you who keep your ear tuned to the beat of the unholy Twitter drums might already know, author Matt Haig had a few things to say on the popular social media platform over the weekend. Haig, I'm quite sure, felt his comments would go largely appreciated, given the recent scandals bullshit dumbass publicity stunts dammit I can't get this right events in the book blogging world in which a handful of writers have made it a new sport to take to intimidate, stalk, or even - in one instance - physically assault book bloggers who write less-than-glowing reviews of their work.  Haig tweeted:



I'm also quite sure he didn't expect the Twitter firestorm this statement would produce as book bloggers and authors quickly squared off into their respective corners for the boxing match of the weekend. In a surprising twist, many bloggers disagreed with Haig. They took umbrage with statements such as,



So why did so many people disagree? 

Well, it seems that many people took Haig's comments personally and noted that they themselves do not write negative reviews. Ever. And they most certainly did not like Haig's insinuation that they might be doing the book review world a disservice with their constant flow of 5-star review books. And here's the thing: some good interesting points made. Many people felt that negative reviews written by book bloggers are always going to be unprofessional, unproductive, and ultimately hurtful. 

A quick glance through GoodReads affirms that many negative reviews can be brutal. But it begs the question, just who are reviews written for? The author or potential readers? There is no doubt in my mind that book reviews are written for potential readers. They are not for authors. In fact, experienced and seasoned authors know to stay far away from reviews of their books. Or at least to steel themselves against them. Even Haig, I'm sure, remembers the angst of reading the Amazon reviews of his book The Radley's being negatively compared to the Twilight novels, an experience that can't have been pleasant.

But Haig's argument's for critical reviews are far more compelling than any hurt feelings caused by snarky reviews. Chiefly, he calls for conversation. That, after all, is what books are meant to do: create thought and engage us in conversation. And that cannot happen if every book is being fawned over as the "perfect read." Nevermind that it is statistically impossible for every single book a person reads and reviews to be a five-star experience...it disengages any conversation, one of the prime purposes books exist.

The line between a pro-bono public relations agent for publishers/authors who have given bloggers free books and an advocate for a beloved hobby is sometimes razor thin and easily blurred. Many times it's difficult to see what side of the line we are currently on and as bloggers, it's not uncommon to find ourselves on different sides of it at different times over the years as our experiences change our opinions. What is necessary, however, is to stop and evaluate ourselves every once in a while. Take a look at our recent reviews. Is there a trend? If so, is it a good one or not? 

And while most bloggers are pretty good at self-policing, admittedly, I am not. So I task all of you with watching me like a hawk. All of my book reviews can be found just there to your right on the Goodreads sidebar. Keep an eye on them, will you? If you start noticing too many one-star or five-star trends, CALL. ME. OUT.

Deal?

Read on, people. Read on.....

18 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting conversation to have. I personally tend not to write negative reviews--not because I have a policy against it, per se, but because I find myself falling so far behind in writing true "reviews" of what I've read that I can't keep up with the books I DO love, let alone the ones I don't. So any neutral or negative feelings tend to get skipped completely or lumped into a collection of mini-reviews. But I can definitely understand the case for critical insights into a work--and the argument that not all books are 100% wonderful 100% of the time to 100% of readers--so will be keeping an eye on my own habits moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is another *good* argument against them. See? I'm glad you posted this. It brings to mind something else I've heard said: that there are different types of negative reviews (just like there are different types of positive ones, right?). There are the "toss it in the mini-review" pile because it was just meh and we can't put our finger really on a reason why. But then there are the ones that are not 5 star worthy and you know why. We can talk about it. (Oddly enough, Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs is just leaping to mind here, hahahaha). So. I'm thinking that just like not every pretty good book deserves front page treatment, neither does every bad book. Love that you brought this up. Good food for thought!

      Delete
  2. You make a good point that online discussions of books should be a conversation and we probably don't take enough time to sit and evaluate trends in our writing - but, as Kerry says in the comment above, it's much more attractive to get on with the next book or write enthusiastically about a book that did make an impact than spend time with the bad or middling ones. I did feel Haig's comment was offensive. I work six days a week and try to keep something of a personal life as well as being a passionate reader. Why should I spend my free time writing about a book I disliked when I'd rather try to write thoughtfully about books that I loved reading? I think it is important to have balance and perspective. If I were a professional reviewer I'd be glad to give a reasonable response to why I think a book doesn't work and if I had an abundance of free time I would still do this. But, for me, there are too many good books out there to spend time doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you took the time to explain your point of view. I was hoping some people from "the opposite side of the fence" would because I just have such a hard time understanding it, so thank you for that. I do believe in the freedom to talk about whatever you like. Their *your* reviews, after all, right? Write about whatever books you want to write about. And readers of reviews can read whatever blogs/book reviewers they want to read, as I see it. So in the end it all probably comes out in the wash. Because people who don't like all positive reviews or all negative reviews will simply just not read those blogs anymore, at least that's how I see it.

      A bigger concern that I have is what you already addressed: writing thoughtfully. I don't care whether it's positive or negative, I just love reading thoughtful reviews, as opposed to the sales pitches. So many "reviews" (can I even call them that?) are a short blurb with a squee and an admonition to "Buy this book!!!!" That's what I cannot abide by, truth to be told. And I wonder if that isn't what Haig was referring to more, but the twitter environs didn't allow for it to come through. Even if not, it's what *I* am more and more concerned about. These kind of reviews are coming from people not passionate about books, as you and I and others we know are, but de-facto PR people for publishers. Frankly, it drives me crazy. But that's another story. ;) Thank you again for your thoughts....I think they contribute a lot to the story.

      Delete
  3. I'm usually with Kerry in that most of my not so great books get lumped into mini reviews, but I really do think we need to be able to practice voicing the reasons why we struggle with certain books or everything just becomes... "it just didn't work for me." and that's not fair to our readers. If we're able to rave about something, we also need to be able to articulate WHY it doesn't work. It's not easy and it's something I've only done a handful of times this year, but they've been some of the reviews I'm most proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's hard to identify why a book doesn't work. I know I'm frequently not able to say exactly why. I don't have a literature degree. There are so many times I think I need one. (I keep eyeing all the free university courses on sites like Coursera....I wonder what other bloggers I could bully into signing up with me?)

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I wish I would have been online for that one. You know me. I call a spade a spade and am perfectly willing to tell people I didn't love a book. I agree completely about Haig's point that there are some bloggers who only give glowing reviews. Then there are those who only post reviews for those books they love. Both do a disservice to potential readers IMO.

    However, I do agree that book reviews should be more than "I loved/hated it" without reasons why. It is a discussion point/conversation and it creates better readers. And yes, I do try to practice what I preach in all instances, especially about book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly where the HELL where you? ;) To be honest, I don't even read blogs that only give glowing reviews or only nasty reviews anymore. If I see that trend, I delete them from my feed reader. Bam. And like you, I don't do blanket statements...I need specific examples. Admittedly, I need to improve the "why's and wherefore's" myself....but then I end up needing a TL;DR section. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. Haig's comments reminded me of an esteemed composer who was my 20th Century Harmony professor in college. That professor challenged us to rethink everything we thought we knew about "good" vs "bad" in the arts (and it applies here as well). Changed my entire perspective in a very positive way. Haig's comments were delivered with FAR more kindness, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful or I'm going to nominate you to teach a blogger's course on this. You know I'll do it, too.

      Delete
  6. It's true! What he says is true! The always glowing reviewer is not a true reviewer, in my opinion. We read a lot of books. How can you not get a stinker every now and then? I feel that I owe it to my readers to tell them the truth. I'd feel horrible if they went out to buy said book, based on my glowing reviews and then realized I was lying through my teeth. I may not harp on how horrible a book is because why beat a dead horse but I will never be one of those pollyanna reviewers. Never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I always read your reviews. You just hit the nail on the head.

      Delete
  7. I'm so tired of the critiques of book bloggers -- it's a hobby! I'm a big gusher -- I love reading, and I try to pick what I'll like -- but I'm not afraid of writing a negative review. But I feel a lot of pressure from authors to refrain from negative reviews. But I think a negative review can help as much (if not more) than a gushy review -- articulating why I disliked a book might help someone ascertain if they'd like it more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that pressure. Glad you mentioned that because it's true and no use denying it. To be perfectly honest, I had to stop that friendly contact stuff with authors to get away with it so I wouldn't feel that guilt or pressure anymore. It helped a lot once I did that, just because I'm one of those people who feels soooo bad if I feel I've let down or hurt the feelings of a friend. (Not everyone has my guilt issues, I know, but wow, I sure struggled with them once upon a time.)

      But I have to say that you are so correct: if you can say why you didn't like a book clearly, it might tell me why I might indeed like it even more. So it IS helpful.

      Delete
  8. The question is not a good/bad review but an intelligent/unintelligent review. Being liked for the wrong reasons is not much better than being disliked for the wrong reasons.

    But it is better, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely CORRECT. I don't care whether it's a gushy or hated-it review. Tell me why. Give me examples. In other words: Intelligent. Thoughtful. Well-presented.

      You just won the interwebz.

      Delete
  9. I must have fallen off the edge of the earth this weekend because I missed all this. But great post. I try to give an honest review of all the books I read, but i also try to find something good in them. Like "if you're really into X you might like this book, but i was bored to tears."

    ReplyDelete

Fire away!