New Releases for the Week of February 10, 2014







February 11, 2014 (Crown Publishing). You've heard me gush about this one in audiobook. It's finally here in book format on Tuesday. Now everyone is talking about it - and for good reason, it's hysterically funny. Also hysterically funny? An interwebz rumor that has author Andy Weir pegged as a Scotsman. Either the Diana Gabaldon fans have run amok or someone mistook Weir for the Scottish footballer. As funny as that is, it is not true. Weir is decidedly American. Or Martian. Your choice. Read the book. 




February 11, 2014 (Counterpoint Press). A murder in a small town in Arizona serves as both the backdrop and the pivot point for this psychological study of a family and their close-knit community. Normally a patient person, I am quite literally drumming my fingers waiting to read Troy's latest work. Publisher's Weekly called it a "literary whodunit" and that was enough for me to pre-order the novel right then and there. This is going to be delicious since Troy never, ever disappoints.



February 11, 2014 (Howard Books). Pataki's debut historical novel about Peggy Arnold, the young and disaffected wife of Benedict Arnold (and key player in Arnold's infamous betrayal) has been critically well-received across the board. Decidedly non-sentimental, Pataki instead opts for a balanced tale as narrated by a young lady's maid. A starred Kirkus review, this novel is most certainly on my radar.



February 11, 2014 (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard). Harry Hole fans will be happy to hear that the second book in Nesbo's enormously popular series has finally (FINALLY) been translated to English and will hit bookstores in the U.S. on Tuesday. In this novel, Harry finds himself among the seedy brothels of Bangkok where he has been ordered to sweep the murder of the Norwegian ambassador under the proverbial rug. Of course, it never quite works out that way, does it? The publishing order of this series has been a particular hell for those of us with Series OCD, so many thanks to the publisher for trying to rectify the situation.



February 11, 2014 (Hogarth).  I included Clement's new novel about a young girl struggling to grow up and survive in the midst of the horror of the Mexican drug wars because I think it will end up being one of the more important novels published this year. Already picked up for publishing in over twenty countries (it will be released simultaneously in the US and UK on Tuesday), Prayers for the Stolen was awarded the NEA Fellowship in Literature in 2012. Clement is on to something here. My copy is pre-ordered and on it's way.

2 comments:

  1. I've been stalking my library website, hoping they will pick up the audio for The Martian, but to no avail. Yet. Maybe if it picks up steam (for God's sake it was the featured book in EW this week!) maybe they will. And I'm pretty much done with Harry at this point. I wanted to read those earlier books, but they screwed us and then I got pissed off with the last book, and now I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your review to my husband, Denis bought the audiobook of The Martian and loved it. Since I don't do audio, I'm going to break down and buy the eBook. You made me extremely itchy to get my hands on this book! Also... I hadn't heard of Quiet Streets of Winslow before, so that's added to my list. I'm hooked on that one, since I'm familiar with the setting. Always on the lookout for Arizona books!

    ReplyDelete

Fire away!